Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Golden Compass Boycott and God in the Dust


Last Sunday there was this great editorial by theologian Donna Freitas in the Boston Globe about the campaign by some ultra-orthodox Catholics to boycott the forthcoming movie based on Philip Pullman's Dark Materials triology.

The Catholic League's boycott announcement is up on their website. Here is a more thoughtful statement of the anti-Compass camp at FamilyLife CultureWatch.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should say here that I'm a lapsed Congregationalist who now considers herself agnostic. My first novel, The Spellkey, has been described by Eve Tushnet as anti-Catholic at the same tme that some neo-Pagans declared it anti-Wiccan, which has to be a first, I think, in the annals of children's fantasy. And if God is really in the dust, as Pullman says, my house is some kind of Lourdes.

No comments:

Post a Comment